Today fathers day has become a symbol of love or respect to our father. You’ll find sons and daughters around the world taking a break to spend some time with their fathers.
Fathers day has a religious and a social meaning. Within the Catholic traditions, the day is celebrated on the same day as St. Joseph’s Day. Although many children don’t associate with this tradition. St. Joseph was the husband of the Virgin Mary and the foster father of Jesus Christ. Which implies that the day has probably been commemorated since the beginning of the Catholicism. Although, truth be told, the day is also celebrated within other religious communities but not necessarily on the same day.
Socially fathers Dday is a national celebration that can be credited to a woman, best known as the founder of fathers day in the US Mrs. Sonora Smart Dodd, from Spokane, WA.
Her father, William Jackson Smart, was a Civil War veteran who raised all his children alone after his wife’s death. Some people say that although she could be the inspiration behind the celebration of fathers day there are those which say that its origins were purely religious.
Read More: When is Father’s Day 2017?
Whichever reason or beliefs you have the fact remains that across the world fathers have one day a year which is dedicated to them. As such children young and old buy gifts as a way of showing their love and gratitude to their fathers. Finding the ideal gift can be a little daunting for some children, who want to buy a special gift as a way of saying ‘thank you’ or ‘I love you’. Unusual ideas include gifts which are specifically designed for fathers are widely available and include great recreational experience days.
My top 10 of things to do or buy to show Dad how special he is are:
1. Buy a good quality photo album or digital photo frame and add family holiday snaps most of which are probably still sitting in her camera.
2. Make Dad Breakfast in Bed, food and relaxation are usually top of his priority list and here you are combining both.
3. Bring the chef out in him with a cookery course. It’s is about time that he got to perfect his skills – hopefully part of the course will include not to use every saucepan in the house and a quick guide to the washing up afterwards!
4. Let him watch sport on TV without interrupting – remember it is not helpful to point out that it is only ‘just a game’.
5. Plan an afternoon out, a walk in a park or along the coast with a stop for a cup of tea or coffee is a good day out for everyone that doesn’t have to cost a fortune. If it is a mild day – pack a picnic.
6. If you have young children, get them to paint or draw a picture of them and you with your mum – a family portrait. Frame it, or paint it straight onto a canvas so that it’s really special.They will love it.
7. Book an adventure day. All Men (Dads included) like to think they are Lewis Hamilton so allow them to live this dream with a few laps at your local race track in a sports car.
8. Look for a gift that he won’t usually bother buying for himself but will be glad that his children have thought if it – a stylish pair of cufflinks for example.
9. Male Grooming is again something he might not admit to be interested in but if his children buy him a luxury shaving kit he will always be grateful.
10. If he’s a sports fan a ticket to a big sporting event such as The Ashes or to the British Grand Prix this summer is an excellent gift for him and the family.
If your father is more of an indoor type of person there is always the possibility to give him a course in the very popular game of poker. The poker master class course can be set up anyway you like, in your home or somewhere such as his office.
A will professional poker dealer, a 10 seat casino table complete with all the chips and cards necessary to accommodate the players is provided. This ‘home’ game will never be surpassed by any of your dad’s mates or even by his local card club. This really is the ultimate in poker games where he will learn from the professionals!
If you are lost for fathers day present ideas these suggestions could be something to consider this year.