Troubled Samsung Galaxy Note 7 will find itself on the shelves of retailers in South Korea soon as Samsung has revealed its intentions of resuming sales of the handset in the country.
The sales of Note 7 were suspended in the country by Samsung after multiple reports flew in about exploding batteries while charging. Beyond the suspension, the South Korean company also recalled a whopping 2.5 million handsets across the globe – a move that cost the company around $1 billion according to some estimates.
Samsung revealed earlier that as many as 60 per cent of Note 7 owners had got their handsets replaced and eighty per cent of Note 7 customers are expected to complete the exchange this week in South Korea, where sales of new phones equipped with fault-free batteries will resume on Saturday, Samsung said in a statement. The company also added that the new handset will gradually hit stores in other markets, including some European countries on October 28.
While Samsung believes that replacing the Note 7 could help it to contain the situation and salvage the remaining reputation of the company, there are reports that the replacement devices are having issues of their own. A quick look at Twitter and Facebook trending topics indicates that the replacement Note 7 is said to be overheating during calls and if that wasn’t it, the battery is draining far too quickly. All these reports indicate that troubles aren’t over for Samsung just yet.
Samsung has acknowledged that it has received similar complaints from users, but these complaints are isolated and only a few customers are experiencing such issues.
“We would like to reassure everyone that new Note 7 phones are operating properly and pose no safety concerns,” Samsung said in a statement.
The Note 7 was meant to kick start growth this year as Samsung struggles to boost sales, squeezed by Apple in the high-end sector and Chinese rivals in the low-end market.
But the recall has piled more pressure on the company, sparking alarm among global air carriers and safety regulators, which banned the device on flights.
Samsung is also facing a class-action lawsuit in the US state of New Jersey over complaints that some of its washing machines had exploded in their owners’ homes.
The company said Wednesday it was in discussions with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission to address the concerns of affected customers.